|Senior Coordinator, Internships and Career Success|
Company: The Opportunity Network
Location: New York, NY
Employment Type: Full Time
Date Posted: 09/15/2021
Expire Date: 11/15/2021
Job Categories: Nonprofit and Volunteer Services
Senior Coordinator, Internships and Career Success|
Position: Senior Coordinator, Internships and Career Success
Reports to: Assistant Director of Internships and Career Success
Status: Full-time Exempt
Start Date: October 2021
The Internships and Career Success department is looking for a dynamic and driven individual to join our team as an Internships and Career Success Senior Coordinator. We are looking for a candidate who brings relevant skills and interest to the role, maturity, and ownership of their work, and is looking for an opportunity to seize a career-enhancing opportunity in a fast-paced, growing organization.
The Senior Coordinator will report to the Assistant Director of Internships and Career Success and work collaboratively with the OppNet Fellows team to manage existing and generate new internship and enrichment opportunities for high school and college-level Fellows, develop and deliver innovative and culturally competent career readiness programming, and provide targeted advisory support that help Fellows graduate from college and transition to career-track jobs.
Due to COVID-19, the position will operate virtually, but may require some travel to OppNet’s lower Manhattan office location as soon as it is safe to do so. The OppNet staff is currently working remotely and offering a fully virtual model for students. We plan to continue working virtually until December 2021, with periodic in-person offerings at our lower Manhattan office location. The in-person offerings are contingent upon public health conditions. The candidate will be expected to be available to work from OppNet’s office in NYC and resume work as a standard non-remote employee as soon as public health regulations and conditions allow.
Since 2003, The Opportunity Network (OppNet) has ignited the drive, curiosity, and agency of underrepresented students on their paths to and through college and into thriving careers, powered by our commitment to access and community. This year, OppNet will reach more than 10,000 students of color across the nation to support them in achieving their college and career goals.
• OppNet’s founding Fellows program works with 1,000+ students over the course of six years, from 11th grade through to college graduation, to provide college guidance, five summers of paid internships, career exposure and skills-training, and support in growing personal and professional networks.
• OppNet’s Career Fluency® Partnerships Program works with 35+ schools and youth-serving nonprofits across 20+ cities to build their capacity to amplify college and career outcomes for their own students.
• Through Opportunity Ignited we provide advisory services to corporations seeking to embed values of diversity, equity, and inclusion in their businesses.
• UninterruptedED, launched in 2020, is OppNet’s free, open-access learning portal for students and educators offering flexible courses spanning our proprietary Career Fluency® curriculum.
The ideal candidate will be a strategic and driven individual with a passion for advancing educational, racial, and social equity. A professional with three to five years of applied experience, the ideal candidate will be someone who enjoys cultivating and maintaining business relationships and partnerships to generate meaningful career opportunities for OppNet Fellows. The candidate must also balance working collaboratively and productively with colleagues across the Internships and Career Success team and broader organization with the ability to work independently with focus and a drive for quality. The ideal candidate will also personally connect to the important work we do, value diversity, equity, and inclusion (DE&I) across the organization and align themselves with and channel OppNet’s core values in all aspects of their work. The candidate will demonstrate DE&I values by actively participating in all organizational-wide learning sessions and self-reflection as well as working with others to enact changes that contribute to meeting the organization’s DE&I goals.
High School Internships and Enrichment Opportunities (45%)
o Identify and secure new internship and enrichment partners
o Attend, facilitate and document meetings with prospective internship and enrichment partners
o Build, track, and maintain pipeline of high school internship and enrichment partners
o Facilitate best fit placement of Fellows into summer opportunities, including student outreach, coaching, and liaising between partners and Fellows
o Engage in collaborative budgeting process with the Assistant Director of Internships and Career Success to leverage summer opportunity funds and scholarships for high school
o Actively seek partnership with values-aligned partners to expand Fellows’ access to internship and enrichment options and choices
Program Management (35%)
o Develop and deliver culturally competent career readiness programming
o Build on and enhance existing outcomes measurement tools, including surveys, rubrics, and OppNet’s proprietary Career Fluency® Competency Model
o Seek input from the Assistant Director of Internships and Career Success to identify ways to document and codify key program elements of the Internship and Career Success Department
o Generate quarterly dashboards and reports to show progress and demonstrate outcomes
o Coordinate Core Competencies data reporting and creation of the end of year report alongside Senior Manager on Internships and Career Success Team
o Collaborate with the OppNet Fellows program team to design and execute high quality and high impact events for Fellows and partners, e.g., Enrichment Closing, Internship Readiness, Summer Check-In Workshops
o Work and play appropriate active roles in OppNet's various equity goals working groups
Overall Program Assistance - (20%)
o Participate in Career Fluency facilitation training
o Assist with facilitation for annual intensives and special events as needed, e.g., summer institute, college application boot camp, and college transition boot camp, speed networking, career fluency panels, Winter Conference and Summer Series
o Lead recruitment visits/information sessions at area high schools and interview prospective Fellows
o Partner with the Student Services and Program team to identify programmatic ways to reinforce the education to career connection
o Serve as a workshop facilitator for high school Career Fluency workshops
o Work alongside other program teams to pitch in, as necessary
● U.S. Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college/university
● Three to five years of youth development and/or career development experience
● Previous experience in career development with college and high school students
● Demonstrated skill set in program management, including the ability to create and run programs to ensure that program activities among team members are done on time, within budget, at a high level of quality, and lead to successful, measurable outcomes
● Relationship management skills - specifically with employer partners
● Strong New York networks and knowledge of emerging career/industry trends
● Demonstrated ability to connect with college-level students from historically underserved and underrepresented communities: Can help facilitate interactive workshops in rigorous but dynamic fashion; understands how to be both nurturing and demanding; appreciates boundaries, but not afraid to push or challenge
● Comfort and familiarity with data management, Salesforce, and Microsoft Excel a plus
● Demonstrated skill set in project management, including:
○ ability to keep a project moving toward successful completion
○ awareness of budget parameters
○ ability to set and meet deadlines
○ understands how metrics and competencies are connected to various projects
○ effective cross-departmental communication
○ detail oriented
○ takes initiative
○ can operate self-sufficiently and collaborative as part of a team
○ outstanding organizational skills
○ creative and critical problem-solving skills
● High comfort level working with education professionals, professional executives, donors and board members
● Superb written and oral communication skills
● High comfort level in meeting priorities for multiple stakeholders
● Demonstrated alignment with OppNet’s mission, vision, and core values in diversity, equity, and inclusion
Commensurate with experience, plus medical benefits, excellent vacation package, accruable comp time, 401K, and great work environment.
Please submit a resume and cover letter, outlining how your credentials relate specifically to the responsibilities and qualifications listed above, salary requirements and earliest available start date to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put “Career Success Senior Coordinator October 2021” in the subject line.
The Opportunity Network is an equal opportunity employer committed to fostering an open and diverse workplace. People of color, people with differing abilities, and veterans are strongly encouraged to apply.
Company Name: The Opportunity Network
Founded in 2003, OppNet ignites the drive, curiosity, and agency of underrepresented students on their paths to and through college and into thriving careers, powered by our commitment to access and community. OppNet connects students from historically and systematically underrepresented communities to college access and success, internships, career opportunities, and personal and professional networks through our two programs: 1) OppNet Fellows, an intensive six-year long program starting in 10th grade through to college graduation and 2) Career Fluency® Partnerships, our immersive capacity-building program for schools and youth-serving organizations across the country looking to accelerate college and career readiness for their young people.