|Friendly Visiting Coordinator (FT): Roxbury and Dorchester|
Location: Boston, MA
Employment Type: Full Time
Date Posted: 09/16/2021
Expire Date: 11/16/2021
Job Categories: Nonprofit and Volunteer Services
Friendly Visiting Coordinator (FT): Roxbury and Dorchester|
The Friendly Visiting Coordinator is a full-time position. The position is responsible
for all aspects of the Friendly Visiting program, primarily in Roxbury and
Dorchester, as well as several other Boston neighborhoods (e.g. Mattapan, Hyde
Park). Primary responsibilities include outreach, volunteer recruitment and
screening, matching, home visits, and reporting. Additionally, the Coordinator is
responsible for regular community engagement and leadership of local neighborhood
initiatives that serve the FriendshipWorks mission. The position requires the ability to
work independently, as well as in coordination with other Friendly Visitor
Coordinators and the Director of Programs.
This position spends 2-3 days downtown, with the rest of the time spent in assigned
neighborhoods. While travel can occur on public transportation, access to a car can
be helpful but not required. Occasional evenings and weekends may be required.
● Commitment to FriendshipWorks’ mission and volunteer-driven model
● Be a spokesperson for all FriendshipWorks programs in the assigned neighborhoods
● Supervise and train interns and volunteers as needed.
● Maintain strong communication with the main office.
● Work with the Director of Programs and other program staff on defining and
measuring impact goals; responsible for reporting on volunteers, elders, and
● Help plan Team volunteer appreciation events.
● Participate in, and be community liaison for, FriendshipWorks events such as the
Walk to End Elder Isolation.
● Bring funding opportunities, potential donors and board members to the attention
of the Director of Programs and/or Executive Director.
● Other responsibilities as assigned.
● Conduct outreach for referral of appropriate elder recipients.
● Establish relationships with providers and organizations serving elders in assigned
● Recruit, interview, screen and train Friendly Visitor volunteers within the
● Conduct home visits to assess needs and appropriateness of elder referrals.
● Assign volunteers to be matched with elders according to their needs.
● Provide supervision and support to volunteers and recipients.
● Maintain program data base on volunteers, recipients and referral sources.
● Work with key partners in neighborhoods and develop new partnerships.
● Develop and maintain partnerships in assigned neighborhoods.
● Other duties as assigned.
● Experience and sensitivity in assessing the needs of older adults.
● Experience or comfort working directly with diverse communities, particularly of
● Excellent leadership and organizational skills.
● Ability to work independently, but also as part of a team.
● Excellent communication, public relations, and interpersonal skills.
● Comfort with setting healthy boundaries/delegating tasks as needed.
● Ability to foster volunteer commitment.
● Experience in and passion for community outreach and engagement.
● Knowledge of Boston, and especially Roxbury and Dorchester, strongly preferred.
● Strong computer skills; familiarity with Salesforce or other databases a plus.
● Fluency in a second language, especially Spanish, Haitian or Cape Verdean Creole,
Contact Name: Ed Churchill
Company Name: FriendshipWorks
Contact Email: email@example.com
FriendshipWorks' mission is to reduce social isolation, enhance quality of life and preserve the dignity of elders in Boston, Brookline, Cambridge, Somerville and Newton. We accomplish this mission by recruiting and training volunteers of all ages, faiths, and backgrounds who provide friendship, advocacy, education, assistance, and emotional support to isolated older adults. FriendshipWorks operates programs throughout Greater Boston. One of the cornerstones of our work is our Friendly Visiting program that connects elders one-onone in their homes with volunteers who provide company, friendship, and support. Friendly visiting matching is provided in all of Boston’s neighborhoods, Brookline, Newton, Cambridge, and Somerville. Other core programs include Medical Escort and Friendly Helping. We also operate two programs that foster connection in congregate settings – PetPals and MusicWorks. We have staff who speak both English and Spanish.