|•||Job Seeker Tools|
|•||Your Saved Jobs|
|•||Build Your Professional Profile|
Company: Shelton State Community College
Location: Tuscaloosa, AL
Employment Type: Full Time
Date Posted: 09/27/2021
Expire Date: 11/27/2021
Job Categories: Collegiate Faculty, Staff, Administration
Instructional Designer |
Position closing date: All application packets must be received in the Office of Human Resources of Shelton State Community College by 5:00 p.m. on October 22, 2021, or if mailed, must be postmarked by said date.
Position: Instructional Designer
Position Summary: The Instructional Designer is responsible for assisting with the research, development, planning, implementation, and technical support of courses delivered in an online or hybrid format. The Instructional Designer assists faculty in developing high quality and engaging online and hybrid courses using proven instructional strategies to Quality Matters standards.
Salary Range: $53,051 - $81,830 based upon the Alabama Community College System and Shelton State Community College Salary Schedule C3-2 to be determined by the applicant’s education and years of applicable experience. Applicant acknowledges that if selected for the position that applicant’s placement on the applicable salary schedule will be dependent upon the verified information provided by the applicant in accordance with the applicable work experience verification requirements stated in the official job posting.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Provide instructional design support for faculty teaching online and hybrid courses as well as those teaching traditional classes to learn to use educational technology as a supplement
• Work one-on-one with faculty to recommend course redesign and technology integration based on instructional design theory and sound practices
• Analyze faculty and course design needs
• Assist in identifying and crafting measurable learning objectives, and the selection and application of appropriate designs, technologies, and assessments
• Consult with faculty to recommend appropriate eLearning tools, media, and teaching strategies to accomplish learning objectives
• Assist college to make the catalog of online and hybrid courses and programs Quality Matters certified
• Work on multiple projects simultaneously
• Create instructional materials to support faculty, staff, training, and other initiatives
• Work closely with faculty and administration to address professional development needs for eLearning
• Supports faculty, staff, and administration in maintaining expertise in instructional techniques and technologies through research, evaluation, training, development of instructional materials, and communication of evolutions and opportunities as appropriate
• Serve as project manager on course redesign by creating a plan, keeping members on track, tracking status of work, organizing, and scheduling meetings, and submitting weekly update reports
• Stay current in best practices and emerging trends in instructional design, educational technology, eLearning, and higher education teaching and learning
• Demonstrate effective oral and written communication skills
• Comply with policies of the Alabama Community College System and the College
• Serve on College committees as required
• Participate in professional development, compliance, performance excellence, and training activities as required
• Perform other duties as assigned by supervisor
Shelton State Community College employment announcements and applications are available at sheltonstate.edu or by contacting the Office of Human Resources at 205.391.2272 or hr @ sheltonstate.edu. The submission of a complete packet by the deadline is the sole responsibility of the applicant. No previous application files will be transferred for consideration of this position. No copies will be given of the application information submitted. Applicants must meet eligibility requirements to work in the U.S. at the time of appointment and must travel at their own expense.
A completed application packet consists of the following:
A cover letter of application specifically detailing and relating the applicant’s education, and experience to the qualifications, duties, and responsibilities of the position.
A hand signed Shelton State Community College employment application. Failure to hand sign the employment application will remove the applicant from consideration.
A current resume.
Copies of postsecondary transcript(s) identifying the applicant, institution, and verifying degree(s) earned that demonstrate that the applicant meets the educational requirements for this position. If employed, all official transcripts must be received in the Office of Human Resources prior to the employment start date.
Application materials may be mailed, emailed, or hand delivered to the following:
Office of Human Resources
Shelton State Community College
9500 Old Greensboro Road
Tuscaloosa, AL 35405
hr @ sheltonstate.edu
No faxed applications will be accepted. If you have questions, please call 205-391-2272.
IMPORTANT – PLEASE READ CAREFULLY
WORK EXPERIENCE VERIFICATION:
Meeting Minimum Requirements: If the requirements for a position list work experience in a field or area the Applicant must provide written verification(s) of their applicable work experience in order to be hired for the position. Such written verification(s) of work experience must demonstrate that the applicant meets the minimum work experience requirement. Applicants who do not produce this information as indicated will be ineligible for hire and subject to having any offer of employment withdrawn.
Salary Calculation: For all positions on all Salary Schedules, the salary amount for the selected applicant is determined by step placement on the applicable schedule. Step placement is dependent upon the following: (a) all work experience in public education in Alabama and (b) all other work experience outside of public education in Alabama that, in the sole judgment of the College, directly relates to the requirements of the position. The applicant selected for the position must provide written verification(s) of this work experience within the time provided herein if such experience is to be considered in determining their initial step place on the Salary Schedule.
Format for Work Experience Verifications: Work experience verifications should be in the form of verification letters from employers and must include complete employment dates, job title(s), job duties, and an indication whether such employment was full-time or part-time, and if part-time, the average number of hours worked each week. The letters should be on official letterhead and contain an authorized personnel signature. The College’s official employment verification form is also acceptable and is available upon request. If an employment verification cannot be obtained due to a legitimate reason, for purposes of meeting minimum requirements an applicant may submit copies of other trustworthy documentation such as appointment letters, contracts, pay stubs, or W-2 forms documenting the term of employment. However, such documentation is generally insufficient for salary calculation purposes if job duties are not self-evident in the documentation.
Deadline for Producing Work Experience Verification: With limited exception, work experience verification documentation must be produced prior to any official offer of employment. Work experience verification from a current employer may, upon request, be delayed until an official offer of employment. Any offer of employment at a salary step greater than zero (0), or made without prior verification of any required work experience, is contingent upon production of this documentation by the applicant within ten (10) days of the offer.
It is the applicant’s sole responsibility to provide this verification of work experience. The College is not responsible for any cost associated with such verifications.
• Bachelor’s Degree from a regionally accredited institution
• Experience in building courses in a learning management system
• Teaching experience in an online or hybrid format at the college level
• Knowledge of basic HTML and web/graphic design
• Master’s Degree from a regionally accredited institution
• Course work in instructional Design, Education, Communications, or Technology
• Quality Matters APPQMR and/or PRC Certification
• Experience with peer-review processes for evaluating online and hybrid courses, such as Quality Matters
• Experience applying instructional design methodology and principles to the design, delivery, and evaluation of courses for clients (i.e., professional experience building courses for others, as opposed to personal experience in building one’s own courses)