Company: Mount St. Mary's University
Location: Emmitsburg, MD
Employment Type: Full Time
Date Posted: 10/21/2021
Expire Date: 12/21/2021
Job Categories: Education
The Writer/Editor position helps increase the visibility and enhance the image of Mount St. Mary’s University through writing and distributing press releases, interacting with reporters, creating internet and social media content, and writing, editing and proofing print publications. Working with the Executive Director of Communications, the Writer/Editor contributes to and assists in the efforts of the Office of University Marketing and Communications as it develops public relations, marketing, internet, digital media, advertising and fundraising programs that are designed to enhance the image and visibility of Mount St. Mary’s University.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Write and edit editorial copy for a variety of Mount St. Mary’s University audiences, including but not limited to, prospective students and parents, alumni, donors, employees and friends of the university.
• Write, edit, send and organize press releases to media outlets. Work with the Executive Director of Communications to establish and maintain relationships with the press. Support University-wide media initiatives as needed.
• Serve as associate editor of Mount Magazine, the University’s alumni magazine:
a. Plan and write features, news and department articles.
b. Edit and proof content.
c. Maintain the editorial calendar and ensure that deadlines are met.
d. Work with Executive Director of Communications, Advancement Office and others to plan and produce the magazine.
e. Post content online.
• Create content that is comprehensive, engaging and effective for the following:
a. msmary.edu in collaboration with campus partners.
b. Social media sites, including cross-platform campaigns.
c. School newsletters.
• Review and ensure content approval before publishing.
• Ensure all work is factually accurate, timely, and error-free as well as meets University brand standards.
• Manage website content updates to Mount News Center and from campus partner requests.
• Proofing/editing of communication and marketing materials.
Job Requirements: Education, Experience and Skills:
• Photography as needed; videography skills a plus.
• Provide support for Marketing projects and team/staff initiatives.
• Work with student workers/interns as needed.
• Bachelor’s degree in journalism, public relations, marketing or communications.
• 2-4 years of journalism, public relations, and/or content marketing experience. Experience with writing Web content, some experience with the media and in marketing and communications.
• Experience working with content management systems and HTML preferred.
• Outstanding writing, editing and proofreading skills - familiarity with AP Style.
• Excellent organizational, interpersonal, and oral communication skills.
• Be energetic, creative, versatile and have initiative.
• Expertise in effective marketing communications practices.
• Have strong time management skills; handle multiple assignments simultaneously and work effectively under deadlines.
• Ability to work with variety of clients.
• Understanding of effective marketing communications practices.
• Ability to work independently, balancing a broad variety of priorities.
• Basic photography skills.
• Possess a high degree of confidentiality.
Company Name: Mount St. Mary's University
Contact Email: email@example.com
Mount St. Mary's University is a dynamic, Catholic, liberal arts university with over 2,000 undergraduate and graduate students. As a Catholic university, Mount St. Mary’s graduates ethical leaders who are inspired by a passion for learning and lead lives of significance in service to God and others. The university has a strong institutional commitment to excellence through diversity in its educational programs and employment practices; we actively seek and welcome applications from candidates with exceptional qualifications, particularly those with demonstrable commitments to a more inclusive society and world. EOE