|Human Resources & Payroll Specialist|
Company: The Xerces Society
Location: Remote, US
Employment Type: Full Time
Date Posted: 01/14/2022
Expire Date: 03/14/2022
Job Categories: Human Resources
Human Resources & Payroll Specialist |
JOB TITLE: Human Resources & Payroll Specialist
LOCATION: Western US preferred, other locations within the US may be considered.
COMPENSATION: $50,000 - $60,000 per year, commensurate with qualifications.
JOB START DATE: by March 2022
APPLICATION DEADLINE: February 7, 2022
All applications must be submitted via our application website at: http://bit.ly/xerces-jobs
Xerces is happy to provide accommodations for the job application process if needed. If you need an accommodation to complete the job application process, please email email@example.com.
Come join a growing team of conservation professionals at the Xerces Society who are dedicated to protecting some of the world’s most important animals. We are seeking a skilled Human Resources professional who can handle a mix of administrative functions such as overseeing and processing bi-monthly payroll, technical activities such as accurately answering employee’s benefit questions, formulating policies and procedures, and evaluating state and federal employment law to help ensure we remain in compliance with applicable rules and regulations.
At Xerces, we harness the knowledge of scientists and the enthusiasm of the public to implement conservation programs. We take action by helping farms and public agencies develop conservation plans for pollinators and beneficial insects, producing ground-breaking publications on insect conservation, training thousands of farmers and land managers to protect and manage habitat for beneficial insects, protecting endangered species and their habitat, and engaging the public to raise awareness about invertebrates found on farms, forests, prairies, deserts, streams, wetlands, towns and cities. Our methods focus on habitat conservation planning, education, scientific analysis, advocacy, and applied research to conserve invertebrates, such as bees, butterflies, mollusks, and fireflies.
Note: In our effort to keep our employees, partners, clients and the public safe, Xerces Society follows a mandatory vaccination policy, requiring employees have up-to-date vaccinations for COVID-19.
WHAT YOU’LL BE DOING:
Reporting to the Director of Finance and Operations, the Human Resource & Payroll Specialist position is responsible for many aspects of Xerces’ general business operations including a wide range of human resource processes and systems which are of critical importance to the organization. These include but are not limited to: recruitment, onboarding, maintenance of personnel records; coordination of payroll and timekeeping function; administration of employee benefits; formulation and implementation of policies; and day to day compliance with applicable state and federal employment and tax laws. Effective performance requires that the Human Resource & Payroll Specialist be able to apply judgment and discretion to interpret situations and independently implement action.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Payroll Management: Oversee payroll function using third-party administration service to ensure timely, accurate processing of pay, in coordination with finance department.
• Effectively communicate policies, procedures and due dates to all employees.
• Analyze and ensure all updated pay rates, deductions, reimbursements and adjustments are prepared prior to payroll, staff timesheets are completed and reviewed.
• Become proficient in use of third-party payroll system, identifying necessary features and settings we need configure, and working with service team to implement them.
• Make timely decisions necessary to process all pay and benefits on a semi-monthly basis, by legally-defined deadlines.
• Research, manage and monitor federal, state and local payroll tax changes, register with new states as appropriate and update payroll system with any tax changes.
Human Resources: In coordination with the Finance and Operations Director, help to ensure the organization is both compliant, supportive and welcoming workplace for all employees.
• Coordinate recruiting and hiring process including review of job descriptions, maintaining web-based system for intake and review of applications, posting new positions on job boards, screening applications, and preparing offer letters.
• Identify diversity-minded recruitment strategies and resources to encourage and increase applications from historically-excluded groups.
• Onboard new employees: Collect all required information by configuring and utilizing onboarding software module. Ensure deadlines met to add new employees to payroll system, coordinate facility/tech needs with Office Manager, and provide orientation including HR policies, benefits enrollment, and use of payroll/HR portal.
• Maintain confidential and up-to-date personnel files, ensuring new employee checklists are completed upon hire.
• Provide training and provide answers to employee HR assistance questions, expense tracking and reimbursement system, timekeeping, benefit updates, compliance with personnel policies and use of Paylocity HR portal.
• Serve as primary contact for questions regarding leaves of absence, and address in conjunction with the Finance and Operations Director.
• Ensure compliance with employment laws by evaluating practices, monitoring legal updates, and implementing current federal, state, and local regulations.
• In consultation with the Finance and Operations Director, serve as the front-line resource for Xerces managers and staff regarding the interpretation and application of employment laws and regulations in the context of Xerces’ employment policies.
• Other duties as assigned.
Benefit Administration: Formulate plans, policies, procedures to ensure Xerces maintains an attractive package of benefits.
• Administer employee benefits programs by consulting with benefit providers and advisors, analyzing alternatives, managing enrollment processes, and serving as the primary informational resource for staff for all benefit-related questions.
• Interpret plan documents and procedures to ensure that Xerces remains compliant with ERISA and provider-specific requirements.
• Assist plan trustees in management of 401(k) retirement plan including employee enrollment and notifications, uploading of contribution data, quarterly and year-end plan compliance.
• Track, complete and submit paperwork to external agencies including; worker’s compensation insurance, disability insurance verifications, COBRA coverage.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND EXPERIENCE:
• Knowledge and experience with a wide variety of HR laws and regulations for example: wage and hour, protected leaves, confidentiality regulations.
• Experience with employee benefits administration.
• Experience onboarding employees & new hire orientations.
• Experience dealing with confidential, or personal information related to employees in a tactful, sensitive and professional manner.
• Strong foundation in payroll processing, payroll taxes and quarterly/annual reconciliation.
• Experience working with outside payroll processor and online platform.
• Proficiency with spreadsheets, formulas, use of pivot tables.
• Ability and willingness to work with diverse teams and constituents in a respectful, equitable, and inclusive fashion.
• Experience with Microsoft Office and familiarity with Google Apps.
• Communication: clear, concise, and tactful verbal and written communication.
• Planning: efficiently prioritize multiple concurrent deadlines.
• Highest level of attention to detail.
• Nonprofit work experience.
• Experience with payroll and/or employment regulations in multiple states or jurisdictions.
• Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field, plus at least two years of experience and demonstrated success in the Human Resources and Payroll Management field, or demonstrated equivalent knowledge, skills, and experience.
• Must have current authorization to work in the United States with any employer. Visa sponsorship is not provided for this position.
• Due to the confidential nature of this role, candidates may be offered this position conditioned upon successful reference and background checks.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Human Resources.
Be able to perform the following with reasonable breaks and/or reasonable accommodations:
• Operate a computer and other office productivity machinery, such as a telephone, copy machine, and computer printer for periods of 1-8 hours.
STATUS: Full-Time, salaried, exempt position, scheduled to work ~ 40 hours/week. This position will be fully remote and the schedule can be made flexible, consistent with work requirements. Note that if you are based in the Portland, OR area and you prefer, you may be able to work from our home office.
BENEFITS: This position includes a generous benefits package: eleven paid holidays including two floating holidays that may be used for a personal or religious holiday observed by the employee or other occasion per policy, paid time off, paid health, dental, and disability insurance, option to participate in a pre-tax flexible spending account for medical and dependent care expenses, participation in a 401k retirement program upon eligibility and a flexible work environment.
TERMS: The Xerces Society is an at-will employer. Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time. In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire.
MORE INFORMATION: For more information on the Xerces Society and our programs, please see our website: www.xerces.org
All applications must be submitted via our application website at: http://bit.ly/xerces-jobs
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
The Xerces Society is proud to be an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer including disability and veterans. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
PRIORITY REFERRAL OF PROTECTED VETERANS
We request priority referral of protected veterans for all openings with our organization. In order to be considered for employment, all applicants for employment with Xerces Society, apply through our Job Board. When referring or being referred as a candidate, including protected veterans, please refer them to this applicant site; https://xerces.org/job-opportunities.
Company Name: The Xerces Society
The Xerces Society for Invertebrate Conservation is an international nonprofit organization that protects the natural world through the conservation of invertebrates and their habitats. As a science-based organization, we both conduct our own research and rely upon the most up-to-date information to guide our conservation work. Our key program areas are: pollinator conservation, endangered species conservation, and reducing pesticide use and impacts.