|Director of Communications and Marketing - Virginia|
Company: The Nature Conservancy
Location: Hybrid WFH/office. Charlottesville, VA location pr, VA
Employment Type: Full Time
Date Posted: 02/05/2023
Expire Date: 04/05/2023
Job Categories: Advertising/Marketing/Public Relations
Director of Communications and Marketing - Virginia|
Are you a creative, collaborative and disciplined communications leader? Do you do your best work in a fast-paced, dynamic environment? Are you a passionate storyteller who knows how to create lasting connections? If your answer is “yes” to all the above, we want to hear from you!
As the Director of Communications and Marketing, you will focus on partnering with your team and the Virginia Leadership Team to tell the story of TNC in Virginia internally and externally. You will lead a team that works directly with our senior leaders, program managers and staff to identify the communications platforms and narratives that help us achieve our goals. You will lead the strategic communications and marketing plan to build influencer, donor, and public engagement in TNC’s strategies. You will provide direct counsel to the leadership team on communications and marketing strategies to accelerate outcomes through compelling stories and targeted communications. You will elevate our voice and messaging across diverse media and to a diverse audience, both internal and external. You will contribute toward building meaningful connections to our programs and projects with decision-makers, donors, communities, and the media. You will champion TNC’s culture, commitment to diversity and respect for people and communities in all aspects of your work and throughout all organizational communications.
You will nurture and lead your team in the development and implementation of an integrated communications, marketing, and engagement strategy to help achieve our goals through donor engagement, facilitating conservation action, supporting policy outcomes, and building awareness of the organization and our mission. You will partner with the Virginia State Director and Virginia Leadership Team, the marketing and communications team, other staff, and trustees to develop and implement marketing and communications efforts that help achieve our top priorities. You will also integrate with and leverage the globally dispersed Marketing and Communications Division to extend and share ideas and resources for the benefit of the organization and the work in Virginia.
You will manage communication strategies and program implementation for high profile or key audiences like Board of Directors, state, and country board of trustees. You will provide consultation, media training, coaching, and talking points to spokespersons.
This position reports directly to the Director of Marketing and Communications, Eastern U.S., with a dotted line to the Virginia State Director. Occasional travel is required for business meetings, travel, and/or team retreats. This is a hybrid WFH/office-based position. Charlottesville location preferred.
As Director of Communications and Marketing, Virginia, you will:
• Design and direct complex and diverse projects, coordinating the work of other professionals, and ensuring program accountability.
• Manage multi-disciplinary professional staff and external vendors.
• Develop and manage budget, evaluate results and develop corrective strategies as needed.
• Drive the development of all communication and marketing plans from concept to execution.
• Build a clear outcomes-based communications strategy to foster and maintain a strong connection to TNC’s conservation agenda and inclusive culture.
• Identify solutions to help TNC in Virginia respond to and/or pre-empt any reputational issues that may arise utilizing effective crisis communications and marketing strategies.
• Work collaboratively across all functions to discover, develop, and amplify compelling stories that speak to diverse audiences.
• Prioritize limited resources for the greatest possible impact on TNC’s conservation goals and external positioning.
• Serve as mentor/advisor to communications and media staff in Virginia and throughout the organization.
• Take on a leadership role, working closely with Virginia’s Senior Leadership Team as well as its trustees and advisors.
• Foster an environment of growth, creativity and innovation for Virginia’s marketing and communications team.
A strong candidate for this role will:
• take the complex and boil it down to its essence, making it understandable, compelling, and personal. You understand that communication is about storytelling and crafting a meaningful connection that drives action.
• have diverse communications leadership experience. The value you bring is in advising leadership and guiding your team. You excel at evaluating opportunities for their return on investment, and lead with a strategic approach that delivers outcomes.
• have experience advising/working collaboratively and have the skills to help our leaders discover and share important and inspiring stories. You are comfortable driving the overall narrative of our work in Virginia.
• have experience in building relationships with diverse audiences and in developing, refining, and spreading a message to and with them. You enjoy staying current on hot topics, trending stories, and new platforms/technologies and using this information to drive strategy, amplify our message, and increase awareness and impact.
• have experience as a team leader that creates a positive, professional, and productive environment. You understand that our people are our greatest asset and that for us to succeed in our mission, we need to cultivate teamwork, provide opportunities for growth, and foster an environment where creativity and innovative thinking thrive.
• have 9+ years of professional experience that includes a blend of external and internal communications, policy/advocacy, public relations, and digital marketing. You have extraordinary communications skills and have experience delivering results with limited resources. You possess a high level of emotional intelligence, executive presence, and influencing skills.
• Bachelor’s degree in related field and a minimum of 9 years related work experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Experience managing staff and teams.
• Experience designing and directing communications, media and engagement strategies and measuring results.
• Experience cultivating and managing relationships with leadership, colleagues and stakeholders.
• Experience developing and leading complex projects or programs including financial responsibility and measuring results of strategic plans and programs.
• Multi-cultural, cross-cultural, multi-lingual skills, background or experience an asset.
• Experience fostering an environment of creativity.
• Experience planning, managing, and implementing crisis communications.
Company Name: The Nature Conservancy
The Nature Conservancy’s mission is to protect the lands and waters upon which all life depends. As a science-based organization, we create innovative, on-the-ground solutions to our world’s toughest challenges so that we can create a world in which people and nature thrive. We’re rooted in our Mission and guided by our Values, which includes a Commitment to Diversity and Respect for People, Communities, and Cultures. Whether it’s career development, flexible schedules, or a rewarding mission, there’s lots of reasons to love life #insideTNC. Want a better insight to TNC? Check out our TNC Talent playlist on YouTube or on Glassdoor. The Nature Conservancy in Virginia has a team of approximately 80 people developing and implementing innovative solutions to the greatest environmental challenges across the state. Building on skills and experience developed over 70 years, we strive to tackle the world’s dual crises of climate change and biodiversity loss in partnership with the communities we work in, that rely on nature for their livelihoods, recreation, health and traditions. Collaboration, innovation, passion, and a shared vision for our future lie at the heart of what we do. Our goal is to cultivate an inclusive work environment so that all our colleagues around the globe feel a sense of belonging, and that their unique contributions to our mission are valued. We know we’ll only achieve our Mission by hiring and engaging a diverse workforce that reflects the communities in which we work. In addition to the requirements in our postings, we recognize that people come with talent and experiences outside of a job. Diversity of experience and skills combined with passion is a key to innovation and a culture of inclusion! Please apply – we’d love to hear from you. To quote myriad TNC staff members, “you’ll join for our mission, and you’ll stay for our people.” Since 1951, TNC has been doing work you can believe in. Through grassroots action, we have grown from a small non-profit into one of the most effective and wide-reaching environmental organizations in the world. Thanks to more than 1 million members, over 400 scientists, and the dedicated efforts of our diverse staff and partners, we impact conservation around the world! TNC offers competitive and comprehensive benefits packages tailored to the individual countries where we work. These may include health care benefits, retirement benefits, parental leave, paid time off, life insurance, and disability coverage as well as an employee assistance program and other life and well-being benefits. Learn more about our benefits on our Culture Tab on nature.org/careers. We’re proud to offer a flexible work environment that supports the health and well-being of the people we employ.