Home > Forums > Interest Groups > HBCU Specific Topics & Concerns > Tha AUC
Edit Settings  |  Search Forums
roomates that steal or always want to borrow your stuff Posted on 06-18-2008
arielle06

I don't know if this is just me, but when yall got ready for college did you ever worry about having a roomate that might steal or have a bunch of friends coming in and out of the dorm who might do the same? I know there are some of yall out there who know yall got some nice ish (jewelry, kicks, laptops, clothes, etc.) and I wanted to know how yall handled it. Did u buy a safe or what? I ask because I'm about to move into my dorm next semester and I KNOW I got some nice stuff, especially jewelry, and thought about buying a safe to protect it, but I don't want to buy this safe and then have my rommate/other people thinking like "WTH, she think her sh*t too good to leave out!?" I don't want my new roomate to think I automatically think she's going to steal.....any advice? Please and thanks in advance
  [Reply]
Page 1 of 4 1234  >  Last
C Nels from Kingsland, GA replied on 06-18-2008 07:14AM [Reply]

When I was in school, I locked my things up in a trunk that stayed in the bottom of my closet, which also had a lock. I wouldn't worry about shoes and clothes more than I'd worry about the laptop and jewelry. Safe bet is to take the jewelry you need and leave the rest at home. As for the laptop, buy a lock for it and see if you can get it insured.
  [Report Abuse] [Quote]
spel_diva2010 replied on 06-18-2008 07:24AM [Reply]
arielle06 wrote:
I don't know if this is just me, but when yall got ready for college did you ever worry about having a roomate that might steal or have a bunch of friends coming in and out of the dorm who might do the same? I know there are some of yall out there who know yall got some nice ish (jewelry, kicks, laptops, clothes, etc.) and I wanted to know how yall handled it. Did u buy a safe or what? I ask because I'm about to move into my dorm next semester and I KNOW I got some nice stuff, especially jewelry, and thought about buying a safe to protect it, but I don't want to buy this safe and then have my rommate/other people thinking like "WTH, she think her sh*t too good to leave out!?" I don't want my new roomate to think I automatically think she's going to steal.....any advice? Please and thanks in advance
I think a safe is good just in case. As long as you don't look crazy when doing it. My friend's freshman year roommate always rushed and put things away when she and I walked into the room. That was offensive. But stealing is the least of your worries. My freshman year roommate was nasty and my sophomore year roommate was very friendly with the guys, got arrested for shoplifting, and did drugs. At least living on campus you can report this to the RA, living off campus my landlord was not exactly understanding.
  [Report Abuse] [Quote]
treyslizzle from Atlanta, GA replied on 06-18-2008 10:29AM [Reply]
The doing drugs part.
  [Report Abuse] [Quote]
DJ Knightmare from augusta, GA replied on 06-18-2008 12:43PM [Reply]

spel_diva2010 wrote:
I think a safe is good just in case. As long as you don't look crazy when doing it. My friend's freshman year roommate always rushed and put things away when she and I walked into the room. That was offensive. But stealing is the least of your worries. My freshman year roommate was nasty and my sophomore year roommate was very friendly with the guys, got arrested for shoplifting, and did drugs. At least living on campus you can report this to the RA, living off campus my landlord was not exactly understanding.
*****z gone steal.. point blank... if u make stealing the least of ya worries ya stuff gone get took.... i give a ***** one time for my stuff to end up missin.. then its a wrap.. im an RA.. so i know how it goes......
  [Report Abuse] [Quote]
spel_diva2010 replied on 06-19-2008 02:55AM [Reply]
Not everyone is that way. She just had some issues. No matter where you go there is always one who slips under the radar.
  [Report Abuse] [Quote]
spel_diva2010 replied on 06-19-2008 02:57AM [Reply]
treyslizzle wrote:
The doing drugs part.
Naw, everyone's not like that she just really needed some help. Serious help.
  [Report Abuse] [Quote]
DJ Knightmare from augusta, GA replied on 06-20-2008 10:06PM [Reply]

screw what it look like.... i done seen Trunks get broke into like DATTT>. if u got tha loot to buy a safe.. Then By All means Buy a safe... less offensive... i dont care how offenseive it is... i dont put nottin past nobody... NOBODY
  [Report Abuse] [Quote]
hb412 from Beautiful, OH replied on 06-20-2008 11:43PM [Reply]

arielle06 wrote:
Quote: Originally Posted by spel_diva2010 I think a safe is good just in case. As long as you don't look crazy when doing it. My friend's freshman year roommate always rushed and put things away when she and I walked into the room. That was offensive. But stealing is the least of your worries. My freshman year roommate was nasty and my sophomore year roommate was very friendly with the guys, got arrested for shoplifting, and did drugs. At least living on campus you can report this to the RA, living off campus my landlord was not exactly understanding. Awww dayum! That's the college I'm going to!
lol. I hope I don't have a crazy roommate. I don't want freshman year to be filled with extra drama...Am i the only one who thinks that the spelman roommate questionnaire was way to broad?
  [Report Abuse] [Quote]
Orca51 from Indianapolis, IN replied on 06-21-2008 12:05AM [Reply]
DJ Knightmare wrote:
screw what it look like.... i done seen Trunks get broke into like DATTT>. if u got tha loot to buy a safe.. Then By All means Buy a safe... less offensive... i dont care how offenseive it is... i dont put nottin past nobody... NOBODY
well you know some people just don't want to offend a roommate before they even know them. I personally wouldn't care.lol. When I leave out next year I'm buying a trunk and then putting a safe in the trunk. But my friend just thought a trunk was more appropriate. It's bigger and it's harder for someone to take than a safe. I mean I know if I had a roommate constantly eyeballing me and locking stuff up...it would make me mad because it's like they think you're a klepto. But it isn't that big of a deal. It's better than finding out the hard way that they really are a klepto. I found out that a friend who spent the summer with me was a kepto after all my money was gone needless to say we stopped talking.
  [Report Abuse] [Quote]
Reply To Topic
In order to post a response to this topic, please login below or click here to signup.
Email Address:
Password:
Page 1 of 4 1234  >  Last
Home > Forums > Interest Groups > HBCU Specific Topics & Concerns > Tha AUC
Sponsored Content Create an Ad
Follow Us!
Link To Us!
Do you have a website? Link to HBCU Connect!