Company: Azusa Pacific University
Location: Azusa, CA
Employment Type: Full Time
Date Posted: 06/04/2020
Expire Date: 08/04/2020
Job Categories: Education
The Budget Analyst is responsible for assisting in the development, implementation and control of the University’s annual operating budget and multi-year financial plans. This position works closely with the Director of Financial Planning & Analysis to provide detailed analysis and reports that inform and facilitate executive level decision-making on issues of financial importance. The Budget Analyst will serve as a resource and liaison with a network of budget managers across campus, providing support and training in matters related to budget development and analytics. This position serves as the primary contact person for the Budget Office distributing accurate financial data to executives, university administration, department budget users, and other requestors. The Budget Analyst reports directly to the Director of Financial Planning & Analysis. Work is performed under limited supervision with broad latitude for initiative and independent judgment an d performance evaluation is based on the effective operation of the university budget process.
* Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance or business administration.
* Five years of experience in budget planning and/or financial analysis.
* Knowledge of PeopleSoft or other ERP software with the demonstrated ability to query data for ad hoc reporting and creating reports.
Primary Duties/Essential Functions
* Responsible for the preparation, maintenance and support of the University’s annual budget process.
* Monitors Budget email account and responds to budget user inquiries and requests in a timely manner.
* Processes Budget and Actual Transfer Requests as journals into PeopleSoft ERP.
* Maintains Budget Summary Report Layouts for key business units within PeopleSoft nVision.
* Partners with Human Resources to develop labor budget for the University.
* Skilled in evaluating budget needs, determining approaches, evaluating impact of alternatives and making viable sound financial recommendations.
* Gathers information from stakeholders for processing the University Board-approved budget in PeopleSoft financials.
* Ensures budget is prepared in compliance with applicable university policies and procedures.
* Analyzes and prepares accurate financial data and variance analysis for the University administration and departments.
* Assists administrative and academic departments with establishing and maintaining operating budgets.
* Provides one-on-one and/or group training for departmental users on how to access, use and evaluate the departmental budget reports.
* Develop quantitative models depicting various financial events and proposals, evaluating and assessing financial and budgetary implications and formulating viable recommendations.
* Formulates procedures and operating policies within area of responsibility.
* Perform ad hoc collection of data to create reports upon request and responsible for developing university operating budget reports to distribute to executives, university administration and department budget users.
* Responsible for daily electronic timekeeping as it applies to the scope of this position.
* Performs other duties related to job description as assigned by supervisor.
* Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Excel.
* Solid interpersonal communication skills to include verbal and written communication, active listening, critical thinking, persuasiveness and advising skills.
* Ability to efficiently prioritize, plan and organize assignments; completing tasks in a timely and accurate manner.
* Knowledge of accounting principles and systems including fund accounting.
* Ability to query, access, organize and process data for analytical purposes from an ERP system (PeopleSoft and nVision preferred).
* Ability to develop and use various computing methodologies and techniques to translate large and complex dataset into understandable formats.
* Ability to interact professionally and analytically with various personnel to identify needs, perform analyses, make viable recommendations and presentations to a variety of audiences.
* Ability to function effectively as a member of a team.
* Ability to translate observations, findings and recommendations into a concise written report.
* Ability to work with distractions, meet deadlines with initiative, calmness and flexibility.
* Ability to learn procedures and retain information.
* In agreement with the purpose and goals of Azusa Pacific University in providing a Christian-based higher education for its students.
* Requires repetitive motions and sitting at computer keyboard.
* Hearing and speaking on the telephone.
* Ability to conduct business at other offices on campus.
* Ability to lift, bend, grasp, reach, and lift up to 20 lbs. occasionally.
* Reading, writing notes, and computer monitor.
* Pleasant office setting, comfortable temperature.
* Proficient in Google Apps., Microsoft Office, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. PeopleSoft and nVision a plus.
Azusa Pacific University is acting as an Employment Agency in relation to this vacancy.