Company: King Philanthropies
Location: Menlo Park, CA
Employment Type: Full Time
Date Posted: 09/02/2020
Expire Date: 11/02/2020
Job Categories: Nonprofit and Volunteer Services
The Portfolio Manager plays a critical role in executing the King Essentials grantmaking program while also supporting other key initiatives at the Foundation. Reporting to the Director of King Essentials, the Portfolio Manager helps the team identify, support, and manage a cohort of high-performing organizations addressing the drivers of extreme poverty. The Portfolio Manager also plays a valuable role across the organization as a “team of teams” player, by providing targeted research and analysis spanning different functions, such as Finance & Operations, the CEO’s office, Strategy, and Communications.
• Sourcing and evaluating funding opportunities by talking to peer funders and conducting financial and organizational analyses around impact evidence, business model, scaling and capacity to deliver results.
• Discussing grantmaking opportunities with colleagues and developing funding recommendations for the board.
• Managing a portfolio of grants and grantee relationships, with tasks including: tracking progress toward goals; identifying opportunities and/or facilitating introductions to relevant networks to advance grantee work; and reviewing and synthesizing inbound materials.
• Collecting and evaluating data on our grantee portfolio performance, including review of reports and tracking progress against key metrics.
• Codifying best practices and lessons learned from our work.
• Gathering evidence to fill knowledge gaps, prove or disprove hypotheses, describe industry trends, and/or map competitive landscape and players.
• Assisting the development of public-facing materials (e.g., media articles, presentations, website).
• Traveling internationally for site visits as needed to meet with existing and prospective grantees.
• Producing and communicating research on global development and philanthropic trends and contributing to development of internal knowledge base.
• Supporting ongoing strategic planning efforts, as needed.
• Partnering with the Chief Operating Officer as needed with respect to financial and/or budgetary modeling and analyses.
• Representing the Foundation externally as required.
• A Bachelor’s degree with at least three years of professional work experience; a master’s degree is preferred but not required
• Knowledge of extreme poverty; demonstrated passion for and commitment to King Philanthropies’ mission
• Prior experience with strategy development, rigorous quantitative analysis, relationship management and/or consulting is desirable
• Outstanding research and synthesis skills with a demonstrated ability to communicate quantitative and qualitative evidence
• Mastery of Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint to manage, evaluate, and communicate complex data and topics clearly and effectively
• Excellent listening skills; effective influencer; strong interpersonal skills across cultures
• Team-oriented with a strong sense of initiative
• Exceptional verbal and written communication skills; detail oriented
• Ability to self-manage workstreams and tasks; self-directed and resourceful with high standards for quality output
• A curious and creative intellect and a style that includes flexibility, humility, and a sense of humor
• Candidates must be authorized to work in the United States.
Please send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com with the subject line: [YOUR NAME – Portfolio Manager]. In your cover letter please provide specific examples of how your experience aligns to the requirements of the position.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled with those received on or before October 15, 2020 given priority. We anticipate making a hiring decision in November and hope to onboard the Portfolio Manager in December.
Company Name: King Philanthropies
Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
King Philanthropies is a private foundation located in Menlo Park, California. Our mission is to make a meaningful difference in the lives of the world’s poorest people by multiplying the impact of high-performing leaders and organizations. We do so through multi-year, unrestricted grants to high performing social sector organizations that have proven models that address the essentials of human life; by supporting the development of future leaders through scholarships; and by fostering entrepreneurship that will create jobs. King Philanthropies is guided by the personal values of Bob and Dottie King. Following a successful investment career, the Kings shifted their focus to philanthropy in 1995. King Philanthropies’ work flows directly from the inspiration of its founders and centers on a singular goal: to alleviate extreme poverty in Sub-Saharan Africa and Asia. King Philanthropies is an equal opportunity employer and seeks a diverse pool of candidates in this search. Diversity is an asset essential to accomplishing our work, and we value differences in age, color, disability, ethnicity, family or marital status, gender identity or expression, language, national origin, physical and mental ability, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, veteran status, and other characteristics that make employees unique. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply