Apply to join the CUNY Hunter College team as a Administrative Coordinator!
Posted By: Elynor Moss on August 15, 2019 |
Assistant to the Department Chair (Geography and Environmental Science)
Job ID: 20838
Location: Hunter College
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Reporting to the Chair of the Hunter College Department of Geography and Environmental Science, the Administrative Coordinator will assist the department chairperson with all aspects of departmental administration including personnel actions, budgeting, purchasing, scheduling courses, and being a liaison to other college and university offices. In addition, the successful candidate will take an active role in the coordination of space and facilities and the supervision of department staff and student assistants.
In addition to the CUNY Title Overview, the Assistant to the Department Chair’s responsibilities will include, but not be limited to:
• Coordinate, organize, and perform daily clerical and administrative duties
• Provide administrative assistance to the department and serve as a liaison for students, faculty, and staff.
• Prepare and monitor various budget allocations. May prepare financial reports including budget projections.
• Supervise and ensures approval of personnel actions and purchase requisitions; maintains compliance with College and University policies and contractual obligations.
• Support the department chairperson in scheduling and staffing all courses for the department.
• Supports departmental participation in and contributions to doctoral and master's programs including student progress and graduate assistantships.
• Attends and act as recording secretary at all scheduled faculty meetings.
• Organizes departmental events.
• Work with the PeopleSoft/CUNYfirst system to perform the specified duties such as tracking faculty workload reporting in CUNYfirst.
Bachelor's Degree required.
Two years of experience in an administrative setting is preferred.
Preferred candidates will have experience in higher education administration or at a similar venue.
Applicants experienced with the use of web- based student information management systems such as Peoplesoft/CUNYfirst will be given priority in consideration.
Must have experience with Windows operating systems, Excel spreadsheets; querying and scheduling.
Knowledge of geography and the earth sciences is a plus.
Superior interpersonal skills and effective oral and written communications skills are essential for dealing with faculty, students, college staff, service providers, and vendors.
Must have demonstrated satisfactory qualities of personality and character and ability to work with others for the good of the institution.
CUNY TITLE OVERVIEW
- Supports projects, initiatives, and activities that impact an academic or administrative department.
- Manages basic office functions such as communications, meeting schedules, work plans, staff assignments, and distributing information.
- Collects data for, prepares, and distributes reports and presentations using word processing, spreadsheet, and presentation software.
- Updates office databases, lists, and files to ensure completeness and accuracy; maintains current information on department web site(s); maintains department archives and collections.
- Conducts internet and/or database research and performs basic systems queries to locate information related to department activities.
- Maintains department fiscal plans and budgets; assists in budget administration and invoice processing.
- Provides basic information, instructions, and materials as requested by students, faculty, and others who contact the department.
- May supervise office staff and student workers.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Assistant to HEO
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Salary commensurate with education and experience.
CUNY's benefits contribute significantly to total compensation, supporting health and wellness, financial well-being, and professional development. We offer a range of health plans, competitive retirement/pension benefits and savings plans, tuition waivers for CUNY graduate study and generous paid time off. Our staff also benefits from the extensive academic, arts, and athletic programs on our campuses and the opportunity to participate in a lively, diverse academic community in one of the greatest cities in the world.
HOW TO APPLY
Applications must be submitted online by accessing the CUNY Portal on City University of New York job website http://www.cuny.edu/employment.html and following the CUNYfirst Job System Instructions. Current users of the site should access their established accounts; new users should follow the instructions to set up an account. To search for this vacancy, click on Search Job Listings, select More Options To Search For CUNY Jobs and enter the Job Opening ID number. The required material, as stated on the CUNYfirst vacancy notice, for the application package, must be uploaded as ONE file in .doc, .docx, .pdf, .rtf, or text format. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
The search will remain open until the position is filled.
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Managerial/Professional
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including s*xual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.
Click this link to view and apply for this job!
More From This Author
Latest Career Content
Popular Career Content