7 Strategies for Trusting the Process of Personal Growth
Posted By: Nicole Rankine on June 27, 2022 |
During the journey of personal growth and development, you may hear coaches say trust the process. However, the reality is that the process can be downright daunting if you are not in the right mindset. Personal growth has its ups and downs, highs and lows, and seasons of knowns and unknowns. This is the reason you will have to trust the process.
What is personal growth?
This term refers to various techniques for improving one’s habits, behavior, actions, and reactions. Personal growth is an ongoing process that starts from an early age but is mostly shaped by parents, teachers, and the environment. However, as you grow older in age, you need to become aware of the process, know what it is, and take the right steps to grow and improve yourself personally. This often leads to new paths, to make changes in your lives, expand your knowledge and self-awareness, improve skills, and develop new ones.
But isn’t that what a process is, a series of actions or steps taken in order to achieve a particular end? Trusting the process of personal growth is a continuous act of faith. We constantly have to re-trust the process. So how do we trust the process?
7 Strategies to Embrace Personal Growth
1) Maintain a desire to improve, and the willingness to strive to make changes. Personal growth will take work. When it comes to improving one’s habits, behavior, actions, and reactions; you have to have greater motivation and a deeper why in order to keep moving forward. What will improving yourself do for you? Personal growth can help you in all areas of your life. It can help you at work. It can change your attitude toward work, and therefore, open new opportunities for advancement. Personal growth can help in growing emotionally and mentally and becoming a more considerate, loving and positive person. It can also help you see your mistakes and negative habits, and lead you to correct and change them. Ask yourself: Why do I want to personally develop?
2) Find tools to help you stay focused. It can be memorizing daily quotes, listening to podcasts that remind you why you are doing what you are doing, joining a mastermind, or getting a coach or mentor. It can be scriptural passages, excerpts from books, motivational speeches, pictures of your children, etc. You can recite daily affirmations, affirming the positive stance you will take daily as you embrace your process. All these tools will help you remain focused on the end goals so you can remain motivated to go through the process regardless of what external circumstances come your way. Ask yourself: What tools can I use to stay focused?
3) Be willing to leave behind what is familiar and comfortable. There are often times during the process that you will have to take risks, become courageous, and step outside your comfort zone.
You cannot move forward if you continue to hold on to the past. You cannot go through the process and remain in your comfort zone at the same time. Sometimes you have to just start, go, and do! When you are in the process, you have to be willing to give up the good for great! Ask yourself: What am I willing to leave behind that is familiar?
4) Always seek truth during your journey. Nothing in life just happens. Everything you go through is a lesson for you. Life lessons allow you to know what is working and what is not working. Once you find out what’s working or what’s not working, you can then decide what you are going to do differently with the truth you have discovered. This will help to keep you moving forward. But remember, your external truth does not dictate your internal truth. Ask yourself: What is happening in my life (professionally and personally) that is a clue for me to change or improve?
5) Find the lesson with everyone you meet. People often come into your life for a specific reason. When people come into your life you have to ask yourself: What are you meant to learn from them? What is the lesson? And most important, what will I do with the lesson? As you trust the process, take time to evaluate why certain people are placed in your life and how can you build the proper relationship that will help you nurture your growth. Ask yourself: Who is in my life I am meant to learn from?
6) Constantly do self-evaluation. You can’t grow to your full potential in the process unless you are aware of who you are and are able to face the truths and realities about yourself. You must know where you are and where you want to go. To grow yourself, you must know yourself. Ask yourself: What about myself (beliefs, attitudes, or behaviors) am I allowing to hold me back that needs change?
7) Have faith in a Source beyond yourself. Having faith or belief in something greater than yourself gives you a sense of purpose. This sense of purpose gives you the momentum to push through the process. Allow the belief that you have a purpose for your life that is bigger than what you can see to motivate you to embrace the process and get to the end where you can finish strong. I am a believer that there is a God who has equipped everyone with gifts and talents to be used to add value to others. With faith, you will be determined to reach your full potential. Ask yourself: What/Who is my faith or belief system in?
To go forward you have to embrace the process and it is a daily renewal of trust. It just doesn’t happen overnight or in a day. You will have to work diligently on the areas where improvement is needed and trust the process to get you where you want to go.
Are you willing to trust the process of personal growth?
Your favorite Personal Growth Coach
If you enjoyed this article, Join HBCU CONNECT today for similar content and opportunities via email!
More From This Author