Home > Forums > Interest Groups > Fraternity & Sorority Life
Edit Settings  |  Search Forums
When is TOO much? Posted on 08-11-2004
jadekiss

To put this simply...Planning on doing big things this spring. I've been geeked to do this since I was in the 8th grade. So seeing as I've been preparing since 8th grade...no...seriously...I have a vast amount of information on a certain sorority burned into my memory. And I don't plan on stopping with the reading and researching. BUT a freind of mines told me once told me that greeks were less likely to accept someone into their flanks when there is nothing to teach , because learning is a big part of the process. Now, I can't help that I have this information in my head...my question is. If this is true, do I downplay the knowledge and keep my mouth shut <~ :evil: or do what I do? OHH I HAVE ANOTHER QUESTION!! Do greeks so mercy and compassion... My G.P.A. might not be what it should be this spring because ...well some very very sad series of events for my family. Does it matter that I've lost members of my family recently or do I just have to have the G.P.A. no matter what the circumstances? Okay...I'm thru...
  [Reply]
Page 1 of 3 123  >  Last
replied on 08-11-2004 04:05PM [Reply]
Research is a good thing. As far as GPA requirements that's something that we can't answer because chapters handle things differently.
  [Edit] [Delete] [Report Abuse] [Quote]
Trauma_Unit14 replied on 08-11-2004 04:34PM [Reply]
Question for you. If you know that scholarship is important, why aren't you trying to spend your valuable time getting your grades up, instead of worrying about pledging? It seems like you have your priorities a little out of order.
  [Report Abuse] [Quote]
B-Will2K5 replied on 08-11-2004 04:46PM [Reply]
****DISCLAIMER....I'm Non-Greek, but I have been thru some similar processes**** Usually no matter how tight you are with the folks in the chapter and how much info you know and how many letters of reccommendation you have...if your GPA is NOT the minimum which is usually somewhere betwen 2.5 and 3.5. YOU ARE INELIGILBLE TO PARTICIPATE IN INTAKE. Secondly, no matter how much info you PERSONALLY know...it won't matter during your "process" because every member of the "line" has to be equally knowledgeable. So you may know something but if everyone doesn't know it then you know NOTHING. So it's best to keep your mouth shut and only let folks know a lil bit of what you have sitting up there. :wink:
  [Report Abuse] [Quote]
La replied on 08-12-2004 12:20AM [Reply]
B-Will2K5 wrote:
****DISCLAIMER....I'm Non-Greek, but I have been thru some similar processes**** Usually no matter how tight you are with the folks in the chapter and how much info you know and how many letters of reccommendation you have...if your GPA is NOT the minimum which is usually somewhere betwen 2.5 and 3.5. YOU ARE INELIGILBLE TO PARTICIPATE IN INTAKE. Secondly, no matter how much info you PERSONALLY know...it won't matter during your "process" because every member of the "line" has to be equally knowledgeable. So you may know something but if everyone doesn't know it then you know NOTHING. So it's best to keep your mouth shut and only let folks know a lil bit of what you have sitting up there. :wink:
Yeah this is what I have been told before by different Greeks...
  [Report Abuse] [Quote]
Dat Man 1914 replied on 08-12-2004 03:55AM [Reply]
JadeKiss wrote:
no...seriously...I have a vast amount of information on a certain sorority burned into my memory. And I don't plan on stopping with the reading and researching. BUT a freind of mines told me once told me that greeks were less likely to accept someone into their flanks when there is nothing to teach , because learning is a big part of the process. Now, I can't help that I have this information in my head...my question is. If this is true, do I downplay the knowledge and keep my mouth shut <~ :evil: or do what I do?
:wink: Being that you are not a member of a particular sorority I dont believe that you could possibly have learned too much about the organization. There are things about the organization that only members know (because they are secret). No matter where you looked, or how hard you searched you need to remember that there is still more information out there to be learned... no matter how much you think you know. There are just some things that you will never know until that glorious day happens for you(if it happens)... :wink: So don't try to downplay the information that you learned because, you are going to have to know it anyway... :wink:
  [Report Abuse] [Quote]
replied on 08-12-2004 09:35AM [Reply]
Also...not only will you have to learn history but you'll learn stuff about others on the line as well as those who have come before you. So its good that you have the history down (I'm assuming) but like someone said before somethings you just won't learn until you have the opportunity. About the GPA...I recommend working really extra super-duper hard this Fall...you may have to sacrafice somethings to get that GPA up...but if you're as serious as you say .."whatever it takes" should be your mentality.
  [Edit] [Delete] [Report Abuse] [Quote]
jadekiss replied on 08-12-2004 11:15AM [Reply]
Trauma_Unit14 wrote:
Question for you. If you know that scholarship is important, why aren't you trying to spend your valuable time getting your grades up, instead of worrying about pledging? It seems like you have your priorities a little out of order.
See thats the sweet thing about me. I can do BOTH. I'm like Windows XP...I can multi task! But its kinda hard to pull up a semseter worth of low grades when all of the drama JUST happened. My....nevermind...not going into the sad stuff, its not neccessary, happened last august and its been really hard to be there for my family AND be in school. Now not to worry, I've done a VERY good job of bringing up my G.P.A. because I'm dedicated at achiveing and exceling in EVERY aspect of my life, not because of I want to pledge, but because of life. When I said my GPA wasn't doing to good, I meant by a fraction of a point, that's all. My priorities are straight, not obsessed with pledging I was just asking the compassion factor.
  [Report Abuse] [Quote]
jadekiss replied on 08-12-2004 11:20AM [Reply]
C Diddy wrote:
About the GPA...I recommend working really extra super-duper hard this Fall...you may have to sacrafice somethings to get that GPA up...but if you're as serious as you say .."whatever it takes" should be your mentality.
B-Will2K5 wrote:
****DISCLAIMER....I'm Non-Greek, but I have been thru some similar processes**** Usually no matter how tight you are with the folks in the chapter and how much info you know and how many letters of reccommendation you have...if your GPA is NOT the minimum which is usually somewhere betwen 2.5 and 3.5. YOU ARE INELIGILBLE TO PARTICIPATE IN INTAKE. Secondly, no matter how much info you PERSONALLY know...it won't matter during your "process" because every member of the "line" has to be equally knowledgeable. So you may know something but if everyone doesn't know it then you know NOTHING. So it's best to keep your mouth shut and only let folks know a lil bit of what you have sitting up there. :wink:
Ya'll don't know just how hard I've been working to bring up that GPA, cuz hell...it alot of money to do bad in a class and I don't got money like that. I'm almost positive that my GPA will be up to caliber by the end of this semester.. Thank you all for the research answers. I think I know what to do know....I think.....that's IF I get a chance to have a chance to think...I think.... :? :lol:
  [Report Abuse] [Quote]
*J.O.* from East Orange, NJ replied on 08-12-2004 11:44AM [Reply]

Dat Man wrote:
JadeKiss wrote:
no...seriously...I have a vast amount of information on a certain sorority burned into my memory. And I don't plan on stopping with the reading and researching. BUT a freind of mines told me once told me that greeks were less likely to accept someone into their flanks when there is nothing to teach , because learning is a big part of the process. Now, I can't help that I have this information in my head...my question is. If this is true, do I downplay the knowledge and keep my mouth shut <~ :evil: or do what I do?
:wink: Being that you are not a member of a particular sorority I dont believe that you could possibly have learned too much about the organization. There are things about the organization that only members know (because they are secret). No matter where you looked, or how hard you searched you need to remember that there is still more information out there to be learned... no matter how much you think you know. There are just some things that you will never know until that glorious day happens for you(if it happens)... :wink: So don't try to downplay the information that you learned because, you are going to have to know it anyway... :wink:
He's right because I too am interested in doing things and i was told learn what you can on your own because you will never know everything youn need to until its comes to the nitty gritty
  [Report Abuse] [Quote]
Reply To Topic
In order to post a response to this topic, please login below or click here to signup.
Email Address:
Password:
Page 1 of 3 123  >  Last
Home > Forums > Interest Groups > Fraternity & Sorority Life
Sponsored Content Create an Ad
Follow Us!
Link To Us!
Do you have a website? Link to HBCU Connect!